Open Meeting Policy
Open Meeting Policy
A. Open Meetings Policy, WVTF d.b.a.Virginia Tech Foundation, Inc. (VTF)
1. VTF conducts open the meetings of its governing body and any committee of its governing body to the public in which WVTF Public Radio business is discussed.
2. VTF will hold open the meetings of its any advisory body of the governing board to the public, if applicable.
3. WVTF and the VTF gives reasonable notice to the public of the fact, time and place of an open meeting at least one week (7 days) in advance of the scheduled date of an open meeting by posting such notice on the WVTF Public Radio website: www.wvtf.org/
4. VTF allows all persons to attend any open meeting of the board, committee or advisory board, without requiring, as a condition of attendance, that the person register or provide such person’s name or any other information, except as would be reasonably required to maintain a safe meeting environment; and
5. If a meeting is closed pursuant to the exceptions recognized by the law, VTF through WVTF will make available to the public, within a reasonable period of time after the closed meeting, a written statement containing an explanation of the reason(s) for closing the meeting.
B. VTF may conduct meetings of the governing body, its committees or advisory groups that are not open to the public as long as they deal with matters considered to be exceptions to the open meeting requirement.
C. Notice of upcoming open meetings is communicated by letter, e-mail, fax, phone, or in person to any individuals who have specifically requested to be notified; and
1. WVTF makes on-air announcements on at least three consecutive days, once during each calendar quarter, that explain the station’s open meeting policy and provide information about how the public can obtain information regarding specific dates, times, and locations.
D. WVTF satisfies the requirement that a written explanation be offered after a meeting is closed to the public through the following:
1. The explanation of the reasons for a closed meeting will be distributed in the same manner as the notice of an open meeting, made available to the public at the station’s offices, posted on the station’s web site, or by offering to mail a copy of the explanation to any person who requests one. If applicable, a reasonable charge for this service, or the requirement of a self-addressed, stamped envelope, may be considered.
2. In the case of regularly scheduled meetings that are usually open to the public, the station will give advance notice of the fact that such a meeting will be closed when the occasion arises. The notice that such a normally open meeting will be closed will be disseminated in the same manner as the notice of an open meeting. Meetings that are not regularly scheduled do not need an advance notice of closing.